Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Great expectations.....!

I prepared.....
I charged the camera battery....
I turned of all the lights other than the main
outside one....
I held the camera at the ready...

  I waited....
and
waited
and
waited
!!!!!

absolutely nothing

I had such  story to tell
about these incredibly beautiful things. 




Tonight they are not here!!!
Shhh don't tell, but I am going to cheat a bit and 
hop over to Flickr


This is what our back verandah has looked like for the last three days!

NOT

MOTHS

just tiny wee little  things that can fly through screens, into beds, onto chairs,
down your neck, up your sleeves

AND


 despite their beauty by camera
are, in real life,
monstrous...
man-eating...
viscous..
spiteful...
hateful creatures!!!


that bite!!!



nasty little pin prick bites that itch for days!!!

But now they have gone!!!
so much for Great Expectations

P.S to all those who sent their best wishes,
 Mike has gone home and just needs plenty of rest.
It was a scary few days so thank you all.

goodnight

8 comments:

  1. GM Julienne, What are they? You live in Australia right? It does make for a cool looking picture.Glad to hear about Mike, now I need to know what are these little flying, biting creatures. Happy Monday to you, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what are they... do they actually fly through fly screens? And how come they have now all disappeared? I hate bitey things - they always search me out! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew Kathysue! they are about the size of a vinegar fly and smaller and there were thousands and thousands of them and they were monstrous. We have just had a late summer burst back to 90 + degrees and warm nights but of course it cooled last night and.... you know the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They loved the ankles! Vanity being my thing, I am rather proud of my nicely turned ankles! Now they are twice their normal size because I keep scratching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEEEWWWW.....
    i hate that.
    we something like that in florida....
    they are called 'no-see-ums'.
    because you can't see them and the are only in certain areas in florida, but they are pure hell!

    i am glad for you that they are gone.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no. I think I would vomit! Hope they will stay away forever.
    Hug/Stina

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sound similar to what we call 'midges' and they're the most vicious little buggers on earth! Far worse than mozzies, their bites itch for days. Worst part about Queensland.
    Kerri x

    ReplyDelete
  8. No they are not midgies, sand flies or no-see-ums. The are bigger about half the size of a vinegar fly (the ones that hang round rotten fruit) and you feel the bite, look down and it is sitting on you, give a slap, kill it dead and then itch for days! Wish I knew what they were. Actually the bite is very similar to the above mentioned 3 horrors!!! Thank you all for being so nice though.

    ReplyDelete

I get such a kick out of your comments so please leave one. Its like finding that extra present under the Christmas tree!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails